Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Attempt #2 & Lessons Learned


I was a bit late getting to my second try at Couch-to-5K jog. In fact, it was Sunday, a week after my first run. But I learned some very important lessons from the first and second run.
 
I learned to hide my earbuds from my number 2 son. He likes to take the plastic rings off and chew on them. Oh! So Gross! And so frustrating. I had the biggest mess on the floor of my bedroom as I went through TWO of my dresser drawers looking for the spares. I’m really glad I found them! Now I just have an enormous diaper box of junk to sort out. I have such a problem letting go of the dumbest things. Do you have that problem, too?

1) Music is crucial.

    I need to be able to focus on the rhythm of my tunes instead of the complaints of my body. Knees and ankles are whining bitterly. And y'all - I am not! a fast walker/jogger.
    The tunes in my ear buds are an eclectic mix of music that makes smile and laugh. Louis Prima singing "Oh, Yes, We Have No Bananas" to Van Halen "Good Enough." But there's a flip side to happy music. . . I tend to not pay attention to my energy level. So if I'm dancing jogging to Marvin Gaye's "Got to Give It Up, Part 1" then perhaps I will be a bit more winded for my next "resting" period.

   And I may or may not have wigged out some little girls who arrived just as I was finishing up my dance run. They were precious little girls, with great big, wide eyes who pointed and laughed. What did I do? I smiled and waved, boys, smiled and waved. Best advice from a cartoon ever. What? You don't watch the Penguins of Madagascar? Here's a link.
http://www.nickelodeon.com.au/shows/penguins/yheb3f
 
2) I own a car.

    That might seem like a non sequitur since I'm typing about running, but I used it this time to drive to a public track. You know what's great about a public track? No dead squirrels! Even pavement! Unlikely to get hit by a car! Restrooms!
    The other nice thing about this particular place is that I have MANY fond memories of walking with a friend who now lives in Germany. (LOVE YOU, DR!) It's a WHOLE lot easier to move your butt if you are doing it in a place where you feel secure.


3) I got a better phone pouch.

    Okay, so that's not really something I learned. It does help. Can you believe I bought it at a yard sale for a QUARTER? It totally fits my big ass Droid phone. The only mod I plan to make to the bag, is to add a bit of cushion on the rope where it hits my body. I am a cross body bag wearer so the friction on my neck , um, hurt a bit. It's a learning process.
 

4) Sunburn hurts like crap when your body gets all hot from jogging.
     Sunscreen, bitches. If you live in the South, it's time.


5)  I need encouragement.
     Hence the temporary tatoo on my right wrist. It says, "Skull Crusher." It made me laugh every time I saw it as I was swinging my arms to the music jogging. A goofy reminder, but one I need, to Crush this run.
 
 
6) Water is your friend.
 

7)  Azaleas are freaking beautiful.
   While the pollen count this time of year might make your sinus a living hell, the beauty is SO Worth It. (Yep, those are my gratuitous azalea photos.)
                       Now all I have to do is figure out how to run more than once a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment